Look up the ten diagnosis listed below in your ICD 10 CM Alphabetic Index ONLY and put the code you find in the Alphabetic Index in a Word Document. Number your answer next to the corresponding number of the diagnosis you are coding.
Remember what you learned in Module 2 about ICD 10 CM Coding and use that to practice in this Lab Activity. Also use the following instructions and tips:
Instructions for the Lab Activity:
- You will need to use the Alphabetic Index only in your ICD 10 CM code book to do this assignment.
- Put your answers in a Word Document and submit in the drop box.
- Put numbers by your answers so your instructor can grade correctly.
- Your Alphabetic Index is found in the front of your code book. Do not use the Tabular Index found after the Alphabetic Index.
- In each diagnosis statement, find the main term (see definition of the main term given in your code book reading assignment) and look up the code based on the main term in the Alphabetic Index.
- Next, match the details of the diagnosis documentation to the details in the information listed under the main diagnosis in instructions and indentations. (For example: Look up appendicitis and then underneath note there are indented lists to pick from such as acute or rupture. You then decide which one matches your documentation the best.)
- Make sure you match all the specifics in the documentation before picking the code listed in the Alphabetic Index that matches your documentation. Whatever code you choose you will put in your Word document.
- Do not look up anything in your Tabular List, as that will be done in the next Lab Activity called “Coding Pathways”.
- When you have completed all 10 diagnosis documentations and written your numbered codes in a word document, submit to your drop box.
Tips for the Lab Activity:
- Make sure you have done all your reading assignments first.
- Make sure you have watched your Live Classroom and reviewed power points.
- If you have questions or need help be sure to ask your instructor
Look up the main term for the following diagnosis in the Alphabetic Index of your ICD 10 CM code book:
- Acute cystitis with hematuria
- Benign neoplasm of right Ovary
- Chalazion of right upper eyelid
- Acute thyroiditis
- Candidiasis of the skin and nails
- Whooping cough due to pertussis (Bordetella) with pneumonia
- Olecranon bursitis of the left elbow
- Guillian Barre Syndrome
- Acute Respiratory Failure with hypoxia
- Chronic pancreatitis, recurrent
Submit your completed assignment by following the directions linked below. Please check the Course Calendar for specific due dates.
Save your assignment as a Microsoft Word document. (Mac users, please remember to append the “.docx” extension to the filename.) The name of the file should be your first initial and last name, followed by an underscore and the name of the assignment, and an underscore and the date. An example is shown below: