Conducting a Job Search
An undergraduate psychology degree provides you with some flexibility when selecting a career. The knowledge of how people think, develop, and behave, as well as the interpersonal skills gained from a BA in psychology may lead to work in the field, but also prepares you well for careers in the fields of public service, marketing, or management, among others. Because most professional careers in psychology require further education, those who do not wish to pursue graduate degrees may need to broaden the scope of careers they are willing to consider.
In M1 Assignment 2, you explored your career interests and identified three careers that seemed best suited for you. In this assignment, you will conduct a mock job search and report your findings using the “Job Search Data Bank” form.
Mock Job Search
Select one of the three careers you identified and discussed in M1 Assignment 2 ( LIST IS BELOW ) and conduct a job search for actual openings in your area. If you are willing to eventually relocate, you may choose openings elsewhere as well. You may choose to use at least one source or all of the following sources to find available positions in your chosen career of interest:
- Local newspaper ads (online or printed editions)
- Networking websites such as LinkedIn
- Networking with colleagues, peers, or other contacts
- Your state employment office (GEORGIA)
- Listings on professional organizations’ websites
Refer to the “Job Resources” document to find additional online sources relating to online job searches.
Job Search Data Bank
Click here to download and review a copy of the “Job Search Data Bank” template. Provide the results of the mock job search you completed for this assignment by filling out the table in the template.
- Begin by summarizing your career interests. Briefly describe what you concluded from Module 1 about the types of positions best suited to your career interests. For example, if you are most interested in a career as a psychologist, would you prefer to pursue a position in a clinic, a private practice, or a nonprofit organization? Would you prefer to specialize in working with children? Do you hope to have a research or teaching position instead?
- List at least four positions you found during your job search. These four positions should match the interests you identified in Module 1.
- Describe each position fully, providing as much of the available information as possible from the ads. Copy the ads and paste them into the table.
- For each identified job opening, indicate the likelihood of your being eligible for the position upon graduating from college with a bachelor’s degree.
- If you would be ineligible, specify what additional training or education you would require to qualify for the position.
- Indicate whether you are willing to pursue that additional training or education.
- Describe the amount of time, the cost, and other resources you think you would need to invest to become qualified.
- Put the information in your own words. Place quotation marks around the portions you have quoted from the ads. Cite your sources using APA style in-text citations and a reference list in APA style below your table in the “Job Search Data Bank” template provided.
- Use APA standards to cite sources.
- List of Career interest :
I expect needing to have extensive preparation for my career choice, in the field training and continued education beyond a bachelor’s degree.
1. Mental health and substance abuse social worker (N.D.): Based upon “My next move” I’ll need to be knowledgeable with records keeps software, internet explorer and other Microsoft systems. Roughly the annual salary is 43,000 (Good thing I’m following my passion and not in it just for the dollars and cents). Positive and healthy communication seems to be another “key” for this career. Therapy sessions as a group and individuals are a major part along with assessments and synergy with other professionals in the field to maintain treatment and referral when needed.
2. Substance abuse and behavior disorders counselor (N.D.): Based again on “My Next Move” I’ll need to have knowledge of Health care systems and data bases, email software’s and possibly IBM Lotus notes. Again, chasing my passion and not dollar and cents the estimated annual salary for this is roughly 40,000. Multi-tasking seems to be a component of this career also with progress notes, information and referral, group / individual’s sessions and promotion of pro-social living.
3. Counseling Psychologist (N.D.): Work at helping individuals with personal, social, educational and vocational development and adjustment (My Next Move, N.D).It’s stated on “My Next Move” with this career and individual would need to be knowledgeable in a medical software called Athena Software Penelope Case Management, I have no clue what that is, therefore, I’ll be looking to gain information on that technology. A rough annual salary is 70,000 (which is more than my first two career descriptions). A component of this career is realistic action pans and dealing with crisis situations.
I would like to finish my interning at “The Women’s Crafton Extension”.. It is the treatment facility that I went to and transitioned out from. It is my home away from home. I personally believe, miracles happen there. It is an inpatient facility that works directly with women who was experiencing homeless and addiction. This facility doesn’t just cover substance abuse even thought that is of course the priority, it also includes anger management, life skills, healthy boundaries and trauma. It is a place that is completely voluntary and allows the alumni (those that transitioned, that has been through the process of gaining recovery) come back at any time and work with the residents. One of the biggest forms of motivation to maintain sobriety comes from working with peers that have been through the process, being about to speak openly about struggles to peers and building healthy relationships (Polcin & Korcha, 2015). From there I’d like to have my own practice focusing on recovery based cognitive behavorial therapy.
Counseling Psychologist (N.D). “My Next Move”. Retrieved from: https://www.mynextmove.org/profile/summary/19-3031.03
Interest Profile (N.D.). “My Next Move”. Retrieved from: https://www.mynextmove.org/explore/ip
Mental Health and Substance abuse social workers. (N.D.) “My next move”. Retrieved from: https://www.mynextmove.org/profile/summary/21-1023.00
Polcin & Korcha (2015). Motivation to maintain sobriety among residents of sober living recovery homes. Retrieved from: https://www.dovepress.com/motivation-to-maintain-sobriety-among-residents-of-sober-living-recove-peer-reviewed-article-SAR
Substance Abuse and Behavioral disorders. (N.D.). “My Next Move”. Retrieved from: https://www.mynextmove.org/profile/summary/21-1011.00