Write an essay on ONEof the three topics specified below, according to the following instructions.
(1) Imagine that the economic well-being of Canada depends on the ability of Canadian corporations to sell industrial products to a smallnumber of developing countries. In all of these countries it is virtually impossible to get business unless you bribe the right people within the local government. Even though officially illegal, bribing is a largely accepted cultural phenomenon.You have been appointed a special advisor to Canadaâ€™s International Trade Minister. You know that without the practice of bribing, Canadian corporations will lose business to competition. Tens of thousands of Canadian jobs are at stake. Will you advise the Minister to turn a blind eye on the deeply rooted practice of brining? Why yes or why not?
(2) Until a few generations ago, there was a well-known custom in many communities in some developing countries, communities whose economy was based almost entirely on self-sufficient agriculture. At the age of 35 or so, a married couple which in most of the cases already had about 5-8 children ages 8 to 18, would decide to have an old age child. The reason to give birth to this child was to ensure that he or she will take care of the parents when they reach old age and need assistance. The community did not offer social services or medical insurance and without an old age child, the parents would not be able to bear old age with dignity. Some old age children would never marry; his or her main preoccupation was to take care of their aging parents. Nevertheless, no one was complaining. This was an ancient, deeply rooted custom. Was the old age child custom morally justifiable? Why yes or why not?
(3) Imagine that several years from now you are working as a HR manager in Toronto Con, a large firm that employs about 250 employees. Among your responsibilities is firing people who breach the companyâ€™s code of conduct. Jim Challenge, who works on the â€œToy-Safeâ€ project, was late three times last month and as a result he is an obvious candidate to let go. It is under your discretion, however, to give him another chance, if you believe that at least on one occasion the lateness was beyond his control. Here are some additional facts. (1) Jim hasnot presented to you any kind of reasonable justification for any of his late appearances. (2) Jimâ€™s work in the next couple of months is essential for the successful completion of the Toy-Safe project, which is the companyâ€™s high priority. 3) Jim is a brother of your spouseâ€™s best friend, and your spouse expects you to give him another chance. Will you let Jim stay on the job? Why yes or why not?
The recommended length is 600 – 750 words. If you need more space, you may write up to 900 words, but no more.
The essay should be written in the following way:
- In the first paragraph, you need to do two things. State your thesis, and the arguments that justify your answer.
- In other words, the first paragraph will be the outline of your essay. For example, if you choose topic 1, your thesis will be either â€œI will advise the Minister to turn a blind eyeâ€ or â€œI will advise the Minister not to turn a blind eye on bribing.â€
- In the following paragraphs, carry on the plan from the first paragraph.
- You need to use at least two arguments to justify your thesis.
- At least one of the arguments must be based on one of the moral theories that we will have learned by the time you write the essay.
- If you present specific arguments that you found on the Internet or elsewhere, you must clearly identify the source.
- Each paragraph (except for the first) should talk about one argument (issue) only. Following this rule is likely to make a big difference.
- Use APA Writing Style.
Use of external sources: If you are using external sources (websites, books, articles, etc.), you need to be aware of the rules regarding academic honesty/plagiarism.
Plagiarism is an act of academic dishonesty. Typical acts of plagiarism include presenting ideas of someone else as if they were your own. Never copy and paste text from websites into your essay! You must always reference any text that you are using. You will find additional information in the Avoiding Plagiarism: A Quick Reference Guide below. Please read it carefully before writing the essay. Committing an act of plagiarism may result in a mark of 0 as well as an official charge of academic misconduct. This is a serious offense!
This is worth 25%