Acidified potassium dichromate, K2Cr2O7, is a common oxidant used in aqueous solution. You may use the resource tables given at the end of this assignment to help you answer the following questions to explain the chemistry when acidified potassium dichromate solution is added to a solution of potassium iodide, KI.
1 Describe what you would expect to observe for this reaction. Link all observations to the species concerned. (Tip: remember to describe both reactants and products.)
2. Write the balanced oxidation half reaction.
3. Explain why this is the oxidation half reaction. Refer to changes in oxidation number and the number of electrons transferred.
4. Write the balanced reduction half reaction.
5. Explain why this is the reduction half reaction. Refer to changes in oxidation number and the number of electrons transferred.
6. Write the full balanced equation.