To complete this Assessment:
You are required to interview a nurse executive with human resource functions and, specifically, a nurse executive involved in implementing the performance management system in a healthcare organization for a unit or department (i.e., obtains performance information, consolidates it in some form, and works with employees on improvement strategies). Look for a nurse executive in a specialty unit (e.g., neonatal, critical care, nurse anesthetist, etc.) who can speak to specific performance requirements beyond general nursing criteria (e.g., compassion, attention to detail, technical training).
- Access and review the Performance Management System Interview Guidelines and Questions document for guidance on selecting a nurse executive to interview, and on planning, conducting, and analyzing the interview responses.
- Access and review the Performance Management System Interview Matrix Summary Template. Consider how you can use this matrix to help organize information and conclusions from your interview.
- When you have completed the interview, reflect on the results, including background information on the professional, the healthcare organization, and performance management system. As needed, follow up with your interviewee by phone or e-mail to clarify answers and conclusions.
Click each of the items below to complete this assessment:
Part 1: Interview Matrix Summary
Fill in the Performance Management System Interview Matrix Summary, provided with the Assessment materials, to create a visual summary of the information gathered through your interview with the nurse executive.
Part 2: Interview Reflection
In a separate Word document, write 2–3 pages that reflect on the interview and your overall impressions. Include the following points in your reflection:
- Briefly describe the professional you interviewed, including title, years of experience, and his/her healthcare organization (e.g., size, location, special services). Note: Be mindful of your interviewee’s privacy in the details you provide.
- Explain the concept of “performance management” that guided your interview and the interviewee’s responses.
- Evaluate the healthcare organization’s performance management system for effectiveness, drawing on the interviewee’s assessment and your own conclusions. Describe characteristics and/or factors that stand out to you as contributing to the system’s strengths and weaknesses.
- Describe actions, strategies, or approaches that you would recommend to address weaknesses in the system.
Submit your Assessment Parts 1 and 2, plus the Interviewee Profile and Confirmation Signature page, in three separate Word files.