Option #1: The Community Action Plan: Written Report and Slide Presentation
Your Portfolio Project for this class is a Community Action Plan designed to alleviate or correct a public health issue in your community. Your community can be your business, school, neighborhood, town or city of residence or birth, or county.
For Option #1, your Community Action Plan will be a professional portfolio that includes a written report and a slide presentation.
Below are some useful sites where you can find examples of the elements of an action plan.
Preliminary Deliverables: These deliverables must be submitted in the assigned week:
- Week 2: Written Response and Project Selection (20 points): Provide a one-paragraph response indicating which assignment option and public health issue you have selected and why. This will help your instructor to be aware of your plans and support you with development of this project. Upload your response as a Word document.
- Week 7: Preliminary Written Report and Peer Review Feedback (30 points) Submit a preliminary (rough) draft of the written portion of your portfolio project as well as proof of peer review. Remember to include the following sections: introduction, symptoms, diagnosis, prevention, cure and summary. Peer review feedback is also included in this assignment. Create a post that includes your written report as an attachment using the Portfolio Project Milestone discussion forum for peer review feedback. Provide feedback to at least one of your classmates. Choose a classmate with no other feedback first, to ensure that everyone receives some feedback from their peers. In this preliminary draft submission, indicate which project you responded to.
Final Paper Instructions:
- The final case study should include four sections (Symptoms, Diagnosis, Cure, and Prevention). Each section should be about 1 page in length. Your entire paper must be 4-5 pages in length, not counting the title or reference pages, which must be included.
- You must back up your sections using at least two scholarly articles. You may use readings other than the textbook to meet this requirement. The paper should be based on references to scholarly materials (rather than on introductory textbooks, popular website writings, or musings, for example) and should support your claims with evidence.
- Incorporate into this final plan any classmates’ critiques that you found useful as well as your instructor’s feedback.
- List the key community members or partners that you plan on contacting, with an explanation why these individuals or organizations make sense as potential partners. This could include your list of potential partners created in Week 4 Critical Thinking Assignment Option #1, or your interview of one key partner completed in Week 4 Critical Thinking Option #2.
- Include a special emphasis on either the demographics of the affected population or the economic implications, depending on what Critical Thinking assignment you completed for Week 5.
- Include a realistic timeline for your plan. Discuss the time needed for campaigning, education, funding, building, and implementation. Use ideas created during week 6 Critical Thinking Assignments, either the option for annotated bibliography or that for the brainstorming draft feedback.
- Refer to the Portfolio Project rubric for grading criteria.
Final Instructions for Slide Presentation:
- The slide presentation describes the problem in your community and your action plan.
- Your presentation must be 8-10 slides in length, not counting the title and reference slides.
- Your presentation must be supported by at least two scholarly articles.
- You may use a web-based slide presentation software such as Prezi, for example, or you may use PowerPoint. If you use a web-based tool, include the URL to your presentation in a Word document and upload it with your presentation.
- The audience for this presentation will be community members or organizations you wish to educate about the public health issue and your proposed plan.
- The purpose of this slide presentation is to educate the audience about the issue. Keep in mind that in real life you will have limited time to convince people of the gravity of the situation and to come on board with their support, so you want to be persuasive and get to the key points quickly and effectively.
Note: Be sure to submit both your written report and your slide presentation for this assignment. Both files should be uploaded in a single submission to the assignment submission page.
The paper and preliminary deliverables must be well written and formatted in conformity with the CSU-Global Guide to Writing and APA Requirements.
Review the Sample PowerPoint Presentation.