The purpose of this assignment is for the student to learn to assimilate, analyze, critique, and summarize an original research article. In other words, select a report of a single, original study.
Through this assignment, the student will demonstrate the ability to meet the following course outcomes:
CO1: Examine the sources of evidence that contribute to professional nursing practice. (PO #7)
CO2: Apply research principles to the interpretation of the content of published research studies. (POs #4 and 8)
CO4: Evaluate published nursing research for credibility and lab significance related to evidence-based practice. (POs #4 and 8)
CO5: Recognize the role of research findings in evidence-based practice. (POs #7 and 8)
Through this assignment, the student will:
1. Conduct a systematic search of relevant databases to find research-based evidence related to a nursing problem (CO 1);
2. Critique a peer-reviewed study, indicating the purpose, sample, design of study, data collection method, findings, and limitations of each (CO 2, CO 4,)
3. Summarize the research article and evaluate the significance to nursing. (CO 3).
4. Please remember this assignment will be sent to Turnitin for review. If you wait until late Sunday night to submit, you may not receive your feedback in time if you need to make changes. Please read the announcement on the Turnitin information.
Preparing the Paper
Conduct a PICO(T) search on the nursing problem that you identified in Week 2, Discussion questions. Select one most recent peer-reviewed study that describes original research in a single study.
Analyze the article and provide the following information in brief format: purpose of the study; type of sample and number of participants; research design of the study, findings of the study; and limitations of the study. Summarize the importance to nursing.
The estimated length of this paper is four (4) pages, excluding the title page and References page. Summarize the results of the study as outlined below:
1. Write a brief introduction to your paper, however do not label it as an “Introduction” in accordance with the rules of APA scholarly writing.
2. State the research question for this study in a paragraph.
3. Describe the research design of this study.
4. Explain how the sample was selected and include the number of participants. Make a judgment as to whether the sample size was adequate, and defend your answer why or why not.
5. Describe the data collection method(s) including who collected data, what tools were used, and other pertinent information.
6. Identify the limitations of the study, and describe how the limitations could be overcome in subsequent studies.
7. Describe the findings reported in the study. What is the answer to the research question based on these findings? If the study fails to answer the research question, what do you believe is the reason?
8. Summarize the article. Based on these findings, is the evidence that you found on your topic strong enough to suggest a change in practice, or an idea for practice? Please provide the rationale for your answer.
9. List your references, formatted in APA style, On the References page. Guidelines and a sample paper on APA may be found under Course Home in the Course Resources link. Follow the guidelines for writing professional papers using APA formatting as described in the 6th edition of the manual.