During your previous Core Courses, you completed assessments that prepared you for many different types of Advanced Professional Nurse leadership roles. For this assessment you will assume one of the most important roles in nursing, which is that of a Nurse Innovator. Innovation in healthcare can take many forms, ranging from enhancing the patient experience to improving the overall health of populations. This may involve new forms of health professional training, patient education, care coordination, financial management, service delivery models or population health improvement initiatives.
While completing your Clinical/Practice Experiences (CPE) for D031 Advancing Evidence-Based Innovation in Nursing Practice, you met with key stakeholders from the Academic or Healthcare setting you selected, to explore innovative ideas for change. During these discussions, you selected one innovative idea that will become the basis for writing your Evidence-Based Innovation Plan for this assessment.
Your submission must be your original work. No more than a combined total of 30% of the submission and no more than a 10% match to any one individual source can be directly quoted or closely paraphrased from sources, even if cited correctly. The originality report that is provided when you submit your task can be used as a guide.
You must use the rubric to direct the creation of your submission because it provides detailed criteria that will be used to evaluate your work. Each requirement below may be evaluated by more than one rubric aspect. The rubric aspect titles may contain hyperlinks to relevant portions of the course.
Create an innovation plan proposal using the attached â€œEvidence-Based Innovation Plan Template.â€
A. Introduce your innovation proposal by doing the following:
1. Explain the role of an innovative nurse leader.
2. Summarize the community of practice (CoP) established during your CPE, including the following points:
a. organizational characteristics, services provided, and size of the service area
b. demographic characteristics of the population served
c. team member rolesâ€”formal and informal
d. shared team values
3. Focusing on the organization identified in your CPE, discuss the internal and external factors that prompted this proposal.
4. Assess how your proposed innovation aligns to other professional, regulatory, and/or governmental strategic initiatives.
5. Construct a purpose statement for your proposed innovation.
6. Create a goal of the proposed innovation in SMART+C format (i.e., Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Relevant, Timed, and Challenging).
B. Complete a relevant of relevant sources by doing the following:
1. Identify five scholarly peer-reviewed sources published within the last five years that are relevant to your innovation proposal.
2. Complete the Relevant Sources Summary Table in the attached â€œEvidence-Based Innovation Plan Template.â€â€
3. Identify the evidence strength and the hierarchy of each source, using the WGU levels of evidence hierarchy outlined in the attached â€œWGU Levels of Evidenceâ€ document.
4. Synthesize your findings by identifying patterns, trends, and gaps in the literature as they relate to the proposed innovation.
5. Develop recommendations for the proposed innovation based on the literature.
C. Discuss the data-collection methods and technology used to identify and support the proposed innovation by doing the following:
1. Explain the process you used to generate ideas for an innovation from the CoP.
2. Provide examples of big and small data within your current healthcare setting.
3. Discuss how big data could be used to support the proposed innovation.
4. Describe technology enhancements required for the proposed innovation.
NOTE: A technology enhancement could be the development of a new technology or enhanced application of an existing technology.
D. Discuss how to support interprofessional collaboration in the midst of disruptive innovation by doing the following:
1. Analyze how disruption from the proposed innovation could impact individuals, processes, and organizations.
2. Develop strategies to mitigate the challenges of disruption for individuals, processes, and organizations.
3. Discuss how the proposed innovation can leverage benefits of disruptive innovation for cost-effective, quality healthcare outcomes.
E. Discuss your pre-implementation plan by doing the following:
1. Discuss diffusion of innovation as it relates to the implementation of your plan.
NOTE: Refer to the COS for Rogerâ€™s Theory.
2. Identify the roles and responsibilities of team members needed to implement your proposal using the Innovation Action Plan table in the attached â€œEvidence-Based Innovation Plan Templateâ€ including information that is practical, accurate, and relevant to the proposed innovation. â€
3. Discuss the financial implications of implementing the proposed innovation.
4. Develop an interprofessional communication plan accounting for the logistics (i.e., the who, what, when, and where) of facilitating the innovation and its usability.
5. Discuss how you will evaluate the effectiveness of your proposed innovation.
F. Conclude your innovation proposal by doing the following:
1. Reiterate the purpose and rationale for your proposed innovation.
2. Reflect on your experience identifying an innovation for your setting.
3. Discuss the strengths and challenges of the process used for developing this innovation plan.
4. Discuss how you will apply what you have learned for future initiatives.
G. Submit your formal narrative paper in APA style, including but not limited to title page, headers, in-text citations, tables, figures, appendices, and references.
H. Demonstrate professional communication in the content and presentation of your submission.
NOTE: The Performance Assessment should be uploaded as a separate attachment(s) and should not be included in the E-portfolio or submitted as a link.