Week 6: Neurologic and Musculoskeletal Disorders and Opioids
Sabrina is a 26 year old female who has just been diagnosed with multiple sclerosis. She has scheduled an appointment for a follow up with her physician but has several questions about her diagnosis and is calling the Nurse Helpline for her hospital network. As she talks with the advanced practice nurse, she learns that her diagnosis also impacts her neurologic and musculoskeletal systems. Although multiple sclerosis is an autoimmune disorder, both the neurologic and musculoskeletal systems will be affected by adverse symptoms that Sabrina needs to be aware of and for which specific drug therapy plans and other treatment options need to be decided on.
As an advanced practice nurse, what types of drugs will best address potential neurologic and musculoskeletal symptoms Sabrina might experience?
This week, you will evaluate patients for the treatment of neurologic and musculoskeletal disorders by focusing on specific patient case studies through a decision tree exercise. You will analyze the decisions you will make in the decision tree exercise and reflect on your experiences in proposing the recommended actions to address the health needs in the patient case study.
- Evaluate patients for treatment of neurologic and musculoskeletal disorders
- Analyze decisions made throughout the diagnosis and treatment of patients with neurologic and musculoskeletal disorders
- Justify decisions made throughout the diagnosis and treatment of patients with neurologic and musculoskeletal disorders
Rosenthal, L. D., & Burchum, J. R. (2021). Lehneâ€™s pharmacotherapeutics for advanced practice nurses and physician assistants (2nd ed.) St. Louis, MO: Elsevier.
Â· Chapter 11, â€œBasic Principles of Neuropharmacologyâ€ (pp. 67â€“71)
Â· Chapter 12, â€œPhysiology of the Peripheral Nervous Systemâ€ (pp. 72â€“81)
Â· Chapter 12, â€œMuscarinic Agonists and Cholinesterase Inhibitorsâ€ (pp. 82â€“89)
Â· Chapter 14, â€œMuscarinic Antagonistsâ€ (pp. 90-98)
Â· Chapter 15, â€œAdrenergic Agonistsâ€ (pp. 99â€“107)
Â· Chapter 16, â€œAdrenergic Antagonistsâ€ (pp. 108â€“119)
Â· Chapter 17, â€œIndirect-Acting Antiadrenergic Agentsâ€ (pp. 120â€“124)
Â· Chapter 18, â€œIntroduction to Central Nervous System Pharmacologyâ€ (pp. 125â€“126)
Â· Chapter 19, â€œDrugs for Parkinson Diseaseâ€ (pp. 127â€“142)
Â· Chapter 20, â€œDrugs for Alzheimer Diseaseâ€ (pp. 159â€“166)
Â· Chapter 21, â€œDrugs for Seizure Disordersâ€ (pp. 150â€“170)
Â· Chapter 22, â€œDrugs for Muscle Spasm and Spasticityâ€ (pp. 171â€“178)
Â· Chapter 24, â€œOpioid Analgesics, Opioid Antagonists, and Nonopioid Centrally Acting Analgesicsâ€ (pp. 183â€“194)
Â· Chapter 59, â€œDrug Therapy of Rheumatoid Arthritisâ€ (pp. 513â€“527)
Â· Chapter 60, â€œDrug Therapy of Goutâ€ (pp. 528â€“536)
Â· Chapter 61, â€œDrugs Affecting Calcium Levels and Bone Mineralizationâ€ (pp. 537â€“556)
Linn, B. S., Mahvan, T., Smith, B. E. Y., Oung, A. B., Aschenbrenner, H., & Berg, J. M. (2020). Tips and tools for safe opioid prescribing: This review–with tables summarizing opioid options, dosing considerations, and recommendations for tapering–will help you provide rigorous Tx for noncancer pain while ensuring patient safety. Journal of Family Practice, 69(6), 280â€“292.
Disorders of The Nervous System
Reflect on the comprehensive review of disorders of the nervous system and think about how you might recommend or prescribe pharmacotherapeutics to treat these disorders. (15m)
Accessible player –Downloads– Download Video w/CC Download Audio Download Transcript
Assignment: Decision Tree for Neurological and Musculoskeletal Disorders
For your Assignment, your Instructor will assign you one of the decision tree interactive media pieces provided in the Resources. As you examine the patient case studies in this moduleâ€™s Resources, consider how you might assess and treat patients presenting symptoms of neurological and musculoskeletal disorders.
Photo Credit: Getty Images/Science Photo Library RF
- Review the interactive media piece assigned by your Instructor.
- Reflect on the patientâ€™s symptoms and aspects of the disorder presented in the interactive media piece.
- Consider how you might assess and treat patients presenting with the symptoms of the patient case study you were assigned.
- You will be asked to make three decisions concerning the diagnosis and treatment for this patient. Reflect on potential co-morbid physical as well as patient factors that might impact the patientâ€™s diagnosis and treatment.
By Day 7 of Week 8
Write a 1- to 2-page summary paper that addresses the following:
- Briefly summarize the patient case study you were assigned, including each of the three decisions you took for the patient presented.
- Based on the decisions you recommended for the patient case study, explain whether you believe the decisions provided were supported by the evidence-based literature. Be specific and provide examples. Be sure to support your response with evidence and references from outside resources.
- What were you hoping to achieve with the decisions you recommended for the patient case study you were assigned? Support your response with evidence and references from outside resources.
- Explain any difference between what you expected to achieve with each of the decisions and the results of the decision in the exercise. Describe whether they were different. Be specific and provide examples.