The following guidelines for healthcare practitioners are helpful for staying within the scope of practice while operating within the law and policy of any healthcare facility.
- Practice within the scope of your training and capabilities.
- Use the professional title commensurate with your education and experience.
- Maintain confidentiality
- Prepare and maintain health records.
- Document accurately
- Use appropriate legal and ethical guidelines when releasing information.
- Follow an employer’s established policies dealing with the health care contract.
- Follow legal guidelines and maintain awareness of health care legislation and regulations.
- Maintain and dispose of regulated substances in compliance with government guidelines.
- Follow established risk management and safety procedures.
- Meet the requirements for professional credentialing.
- Help develop and maintain personnel, policy, and procedure manuals.
Select 2 of these and discuss why they are important for building effective provider/patient relationships and maintaining a standard of care. Are there other guidelines you would add to this list? Use examples based on your experiences.
Use APA formatting and citation standards. Use at least two (2) scholarly references published within the last 5 years to substantiate your work.