A clinical exemplar is a narrative account of a clinical situation over and above the nurse’s normal job practice responsibility, which has happened in the last calendar year. This exemplar should demonstrate:
- advanced clinical judgment and/or
- an innovative intervention that impacted a patient or patient’s family outcome in a positive way.
Clinical exemplars must be typed, double-spaced, use 12-point font, with a minimum of 250 words and a maximum of three pages. Do not use identifiable patient information.
Clinical exemplars should illustrate at least one of the Institute of Medicine’s six specific aims for healthcare system improvement:
- Safe: Avoiding injuries to patients from care that is intended to help them
- Effective: Providing services based on scientific knowledge to all who could benefit, and refraining from providing services to those not likely to benefit
- Patient-centered: Providing care that is respectful and responsive to individual patient preferences, needs and values, and ensuring that patient values guide all clinical decisions.
- Timely: Reducing waits and sometimes harmful delays for both those who receive and those who give care.
- Efficient: Avoiding waste, including waste of equipment, supplies, ideas and energy
- Equitable: Providing care that does not vary in quality because of personal characteristics such as gender, ethnicity, geographic location and socioeconomic status
Clinical Exemplars should include the following, in a question/response format:
- What was the context of the situation? (Shift, event, etc.) What concerns did you have for the patient during the situation?
- What actions did you take to positively impact the patient?
- How were complications, if any, managed or prevented?
- What was the final outcome?
- How did this situation demonstrate advanced clinical judgment or an innovative intervention that impacted a patient or their family positively?
- Which Institute of Medicine Aim for Healthcare Improvement was demonstrated in this situation? Describe.
- What lessons were learned?
- Which Target Zero Error Prevention Tools were utilized? Describe.