This assignment is based on an experience that I had personally. I received a patient from the emergency department with an actively bleeding head, soiled in urine and stool that required the medical response team due to the active bleeding. After the response team left, the physician had to come to the bedside from home and suture up the bleed.
please follow the instructions on how to address the paper.
A clinical exemplar is a narrative account of a clinical situation over and above the nurse’s normal job practice responsibility, which has happened in the last calendar year. This exemplar should demonstrate:
- advanced clinical judgment and/or
- an innovative intervention that impacted a patient or patient’s family outcome in a positive way.
Clinical exemplars must be typed, double-spaced, use 12-point font, with a minimum of 250 words and a maximum of three pages. Do not use identifiable patient information.
Clinical exemplars should illustrate at least one of the Institute of Medicine’s six specific aims for healthcare system improvement:
- Safe: Avoiding injuries to patients from care that is intended to help them
- Effective: Providing services based on scientific knowledge to all who could benefit, and refraining from providing services to those not likely to benefit
- Patient-centered: Providing care that is respectful and responsive to individual patient preferences, needs and values, and ensuring that patient values guide all clinical decisions.
- Timely: Reducing waits and sometimes harmful delays for both those who receive and those who give care.
- Efficient: Avoiding waste, including waste of equipment, supplies, ideas and energy
- Equitable: Providing care that does not vary in quality because of personal characteristics such as gender, ethnicity, geographic location and socioeconomic status
Clinical Exemplars should include the following, in a question/response format:
- What was the context of the situation? (Shift, event, etc.) What concerns did you have for the patient during the situation?
- What actions did you take to positively impact the patient?
- How were complications, if any, managed or prevented?
- What was the final outcome?
- How did this situation demonstrate advanced clinical judgment or an innovative intervention that impacted a patient or their family positively?
- Which Institute of Medicine Aim for Healthcare Improvement was demonstrated in this situation? Describe.
- What lessons were learned?
- Which Target Zero Error Prevention Tools were utilized? Describe.