For the Unit 2 Case Connections assignment, you will address these two case connection problems in an original powerpoint presentation.
To earn full credit, you will need to describe why your chosen answer is correct while also discussing why the other answers are incorrect. Your presentation will be graded on your logic and accuracy as well as on the clarity and organization of the overall assignment.
- Create a script for your presentation. You will submit your script along with your powerpoint presentation.
- References in AMA format are also required. You may utilize any resources you like as you discuss your solution and methods, but you should include a reference page at the end of your script.
Case 2: A 16-year-old female is recently diagnosed with a deficiency of muscle glycogen phosphorylase. She and her family are concerned and ask the following questions. Based on what you know about skeletal muscle glycogenolysis and muscle metabolism, please respond to each question with a thoughtful answer that describes the metabolism in these various scenarios in language that your patient will understand, while also being sure to include the role of the relevant metabolic pathways, specific enzymes, and stimulus for their activity:
1. Iâ€™m not sure I understand the issue. Can you explain how muscle glycogen is used normally during exercise?
2. I really like to take long walks; will I still be able to do this with my friends?
3. As a result of this deficiency, will I need to get up at night to eat to maintain my blood glucose levels?
4. Do I need to worry about producing excessive lactate during intense anaerobic exercise?
Case 3: A 5-year-old boy is brought to the pediatricianâ€™s office for an annual visit. The mother reports he has been a sickly infant and often appears drowsy. She also has concerns over her sonâ€™s persistent thirst and frequent urination. Blood samples are taken for insulin measurements at time zero and 1 hour after a glucose loading test. The results of this testing are illustrated in the table below:
Baseline blood sample________ 1 hour after glucose load
Patient/ Control Patient/ Control
Serum insulin level(mU/L) 0.8 6 +/- 2 5 40 +/- 11
1. What is this information likely to suggest about the underlying biochemical basis for the patients symptoms?
2. What would you predict the patientsâ€™ fasted blood glucose levels to be given his current condition? (e.g. above normal range; within the normal range; below the normal range)
3. Based on this diagnosis, what 2 regulatory enzymes are likely to be active in this individualsâ€™ current condition. Be sure to include a rationale as to why the activity of these enzymes would increase.