Answer each of the questions below using information gathered from your readings, lectures, and outside research. You should provide at least a paragraph response for each of the questions.
- Describe the physical characteristics and primary function of red blood cells? What is hemoglobin and what specific tests involving hemoglobin can help with the diagnosis of anemia? How does iron deficiency play a role in anemia?
- Trace the pathway of a single red blood cell through the pulmonary and systemic circuits starting with the right atrium. Name all chambers, valves, and vessels that this RBC passes through in the correct sequence.
- In addition to anatomical adaptations of veins, which include one-way valves and a layer of smooth muscle in the tunica media, there are 2 physiological factors that influence return of blood to the heart from the systemic system. Name and describe these two physiological factors and how they function in venous return.
- List the components of the cardiac conduction system, starting with the sinoatrial node. Explain how disruptions in the normal functioning of this system can lead to various cardiac arrhythmias such as tachycardia, bradycardia, ectopic pacemaker rhythm, and fibrillation. Be sure to provide a brief definition of each of the listed arrhythmias.
- Thoroughly compare and contrast arteries, veins, and capillaries. Be sure to emphasize both the similarities and differences of these vessel types and provide examples of each.
|Make sure you provide citations and references for your answers|