- This assignment will give you an opportunity to take a closer look at a specific course topic, or a theme that runs throughout the course.
- 8-10 pages in length (not including your title page and reference page). The essay should be double-spaced, 12-point font.
- You can write more if you want to. I have no problem with that, and I donâ€™t want you to feel that length is a limitation.
- However, a shorter essay may not fulfill all the assignment requirements and that may lower your mark.
- Topic: An unequal world: economic inequality and insecurity
In this course, a number of modules cover the study of economic security. One issue that we focus on is economic inequality. In an essay, I want you to discuss the general issue of income inequality, how it is measured, and the impact it has in contrasting economic environments (e.g., high-income countries and low-income countries).
This topic will require you to work with course readings as well as resources that you research.
Please write an essay that fulfills the following requirements:
1. In your own words, summarize Jeffrey Sachsâ€™s discussion of income inequality in the course reading you have from him (youâ€™ll find this in Part III of the assigned chapter called â€œUnequal Worldâ€ from his book, The Age of Sustainable Development). Please do not use direct quotations in place of your own words. The point here is for you to construct a summary of his discussion based on your own analysis of what he says.
However, if you reference specific data (for example, about Denmarkâ€™s Gini coefficient), then you should include a proper citation. Value 4 marks.
2. Explain how income inequality is addressed by the UN Sustainable Development Goals. Then explain how one particular case of income inequality in a lower income country is being addressed by the United Nations or some other organization (e.g., the World Bank).
Note: this part of the paper will require some research.
You will need at least one source for your case (it could be a report from the UN, for example). If you need some websites to help you start, consult Module 7. Value: 6 marks.
3. Look at the impact of economic inequality in high-income countries. What kind of insecurities does it promote within the societies of these countries? For example, is there a relationship between income inequality and increased political instability? You can focus on a case study or you can look at a debate (e.g., the debate about â€œneoliberalismâ€™sâ€ effects on democracy). You can find useful materials for this topic on the Course Resources page (look under Modules 8 and 9). Value: 6 marks.
4. In a conclusion, discuss your own assessment and impressions of the impact of income inequality on the security of people within their home countries. Answer this question as part of your reflections: How important do you think the reduction of income inequality is to economic security (within a country or region, or globally, if youâ€™d like to think at that scale)? Give reason to support your answer. Value: 6 marks
The remaining 3 marks are for proper academic documentation and formatting.
- Please note: this is not a grade for your â€œwriting.â€ Quality of writing can impact on an overall essay grade in different ways, so it isnâ€™t included here. Also, please note that an essay without citations will be returned and I will ask you to resubmit.
- I am not able to grade an essay that does not cite sources.
- The minimum penalty for submitting a paper without citations is the full loss of these 3 marks. A late penalty of 5% per day may also be applied until I receive the submission again.